Thursday, October 7, 2010

Reflections from a Happy American in Cameroon

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You should begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” –Emerson

This is the quotable card that my sister gave me before my freshman year (yes, Faith I still have it and brought it with me). I woke up feeling rather silly about letting that silly conflict stand in my way of the optimism I have been feeling lately. I thought to myself, “What would I do if I was in this type of conflict back home?” Granted the cultural differences stood in my way, I decided to apologize first to Emmanuel and offer some extra money from the week in Bamenda that he felt he was owed. It felt good to release that negative tension and move on. He didn’t respond, leaving me to believe that he will hold this grudge for awhile, but I wasn’t looking for an apology or any response on his behalf. Letting go of a grudge is a way of exhaling.

On that note, I had a great day at school. My kids are speaking much better, granted it’s with the same 30 word vocabulary they know (I am playing football. I go to school. Over and over again). Today I split the kids into 3 groups and gave them each a different book, and we did reading stations. I did most of the reading for every group and was exhausted by the end of the day. The three stories eventually merged into one so when I was reading I would mistakes because I forgot which book I was reading. It sounded something like this, “Mischief was a little pony on a farm who caused trouble and jumped to the moon and then met Rumpelstilskin.”

I was looking forward to doing nothing after school and will spend the rest of my day eating fufu and fish (lovely), marking papers, doing some GRE studying, and evade the strange insects that tend to fly at me and make me squeal like a girl.

It feels good to feel good.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it boo, just take each day at a time and make the best of it :) Miss and love youuu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry, Adam. You're going strong (and my goodness, it isn't easy!).

    ReplyDelete